Different Types of Headaches, Causes, and Ways for Recovery
Headache, with its pulsating pain and unwelcome intrusion, is known to afflict millions of individuals worldwide. According to studies, approximately 75% of adults experience it at least once a year. But do you know that there are different types of headaches? And that cause, duration, and intensity can vary according to each type?
In this blog, Genesis Physio will delve into different types of headaches. We’ll also unravel their causes but also equip you with valuable insights into effective recovery strategies.
What are Different Types of Headaches?
Although there are over 150 types of headaches, the most common types include:
- Tension headaches: We bet most readers are already having an idea about this type of headache. Tension headaches are characterized by dull, persistent pain. They are usually driven by stress, muscle tension, or poor posture.
- Migraine headaches: Migraines bring intense throbbing or pulsating pain that is accompanied by other symptoms including sensitivity to light and sound. While its exact cause is still not fully understood, scientists believe them to be triggered by genetic and environmental factors.
- Cluster headaches: Cluster headaches are excruciatingly painful and occur in cyclical patterns or clusters. These types are generally related to abnormalities in the hypothalamus. Those who are scratching their heads, it is a region of our brain that regulates various bodily functions.
- Sinus headaches: Sinus headaches stem from inflammation or congestion in the sinuses often due to allergies, infections, or sinusitis.
- Thunderclap headaches: Thunderclap headaches are sudden, severe headaches that reach maximum intensity within seconds. They need immediate medical attention. Why? Because thunderclap headaches can be a symptom of life-threatening conditions. Ruptured aneurysm, for instance.
- Exertional headaches: Exertional headaches occur during or after physical activity. They are usually brought on by strenuous exercise, sexual activity, or other intense physical exertion.
- Hypertension headaches: High blood pressure can lead to headaches called hypertension headaches. These are typically described as throbbing and located at the back of the head.
Genesis’s physiotherapy treatments in Calgary can help you deal with different types of headaches.
What are Ways of Recovery from Different Types of Headaches?
Here are some ways of recovering from different types of headaches:
- For tension headaches, relaxation techniques, stress management, and improving posture can help alleviate symptoms.
- Migraine headaches can be managed with medications, lifestyle modifications, identifying triggers, and practicing relaxation techniques.
- Cluster headaches may require prescription medications, oxygen therapy, and lifestyle adjustments.
- Treating underlying sinus conditions such as allergies or infections can provide relief from sinus headaches.
- Thunderclap headaches require immediate medical attention to determine and address the underlying cause.
- Exertional headaches can be managed by warming up before exercise, staying hydrated, and gradually increasing intensity.
- Controlling blood pressure through medication, lifestyle changes, and stress reduction is crucial for managing hypertension headaches.
There you go!
We told you everything about different types of headaches. Remember, headaches are complex and can have various underlying factors. It is important to seek professional medical advice for an accurate diagnosis and tailored treatment plan that suits your unique situation.
At Genisis Physio, we help people in Calgary deal with different types of headaches using the best procedure. Contact the best physiotherapy center in Calgary today in case of queries!